7th INTERNATIONAL OPERA SINGING
COMPETITION SOUTH AFRICA 2020
The closing date for the application is 19 June 2020.
Results for those chosen will be announced on 30 June 2020
No late applications will be accepted.
Main Prizes 2020
Donated by Dr. Sicelo Nkwanyana
1st prize: R30,000
2nd prize: R20,000
3rd prize: R10,000
Who is eligible to apply?
1. Singers of any African nationality
2. Singers must be at least 18 years old at the date of their auditions, and no older than 35 years on 1 August 2020.
3. The competition is open to all singers, trained and untrained as it has a training and development element to it.
4. A high level of preparation of your chosen arias is expected. All pieces must be and sung from memory at the audition, semi-final and final.
Entering the competition:
Please ensure that you provide all required information, especially correct phone numbers and email adresses. The application form is only the first part of the process. Your application will not be complete and will not be accepted unless you have sent your recording with it.
Please submit a live recording of you singing any aria or song as part of the application. Email your recording link to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Repertoire for 2020:
1. Please note that you need to have four contrasting arias for this competition.
2. If you wish to be considered for the Song Prize and/or Baroque Aria Prize you will need to prepare this repertoire in addition to the four arias. The Song must be a classical German Lied.
3. You will need two arias for the semifinal round and two arias for the final round.
4. All arias need to be memorised by the time you arrive in Cape Town.
5. The choice of arias is completely yours. There are no prescribed arias this year.
You will need to provide the copies of all music for the pianist when you arrive on the first day.